Cranberry Sorbet


Guest author Garrett came over to make this cranberry sorbet for us the other day, so good! Even in bone-chilling weather. ~Elise

I’ve gone a bit cranberry crazy at the moment. Plain loco. Off the deep end. You see, it’s 35°F outside and I have my ice cream machine running.

Now before you roll your eyes at me and and simply pass me off as simply lunatic fringe, please, hear me out.

I love cranberries. Adore them, in fact. I horde them come November and December because I just can’t get enough of their sweet-tart taste that just nibbles at your tongue.

Cranberry sauce, tarts, bread, cookies and chutneys get turned out here like I’ll win a prize at the end (maybe more cranberries?).

I always wanted to try making cranberry sorbet but let’s face it, there be no cranberries in July when the weather is hitting triple digits.

Cranberry Sorbet

Still, if you’re a bit cranberry crazy like me, you’ll be more than willing to give this a go.

It met with resounding praise at Thanksgiving and was polished off shortly after the next day; as such it’s making a Christmas appearance as well. Its deep garnet color and perky flavor just ring with cheer and spirit.

Paired with a snifter of good brandy or maybe some fresh blondies or gingerbread men this sorbet is best enjoyed in a cozy home wrapped in your warmest sweater.


Cranberry Sorbet Recipe

  • Prep time: 3 hours
  • Yield: Makes about 1 quart

Ingredients

  • 12 ounces fresh or thawed frozen cranberries (about 3 1/2 cups), washed and drained, stems removed and discarded, bruised or spoiled cranberries discarded
  • 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
  • 2 cups white cranberry juice
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh lime or orange zest


Read More: Cranberry Sorbet