Short-Rib Beef Stew with Ale


The debate didn’t last long. “You could have used boneless beef short-ribs. You’re paying for the bones when you buy them bone-in,” my mother remarked in while we were all enjoying this wonderful stew.

“It’s better with the bones,” my father and I replied, practically in unison. “Better flavor,” dad added. “And then there’s all that goodness from the marrow,” said I.

Mom, not willing to give in so easily, said, “these bones are too small, I can’t see any marrow.” At this point, dad and I put our forks down and focused our gaze upon her.

“Mom, just because you can’t see a hole in the bones, doesn’t mean there’s no marrow.”

“But they couldn’t have cooked long enough for anything to come out.”

“They cooked for two and a half hours.”

“Okay. Nevermind.”

Short Rib Beef Stew Ale

And so it goes. Lest you think that my dad and I unfairly give my mom a hard time, tonight both of them pounced on me for not knowing who Falstaff was. “Shakespeare, Henry IV!,” said they, rolling their eyes the way they do when they realize how little I, the daughter of two teachers, really know.

By the way, my mother is right more often than not, though in this case I’ll stand by our assertion that this stew tastes better, and is better for you, when cooked with the short ribs bone-in.

This recipe is adapted from one in a old Sunset Magazine. We used a malty brown ale in place of the beer the original recipe calls for, and added carrots and turnips.

We love turnips in stews, though they have their own unique, somewhat bitter flavor; you can easily leave them out.

Short Ribs

Updated. From the recipe archive. First posted 2007.


Short-Rib Beef Stew with Ale Recipe

  • Prep time: 15 minutes
  • Cook time: 3 hours, 30 minutes
  • Yield: Serves 8.

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 2 Tbsp hot paprika
  • 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
  • Salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs, trimmed of excess fat
  • 4 strips thick-cut bacon
  • 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
  • 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 bottle (12 oz.) a malty brown ale (we used Newcastle Brown ale)
  • 1 can (14.5 oz.) whole peeled tomatoes, chopped and juices reserved
  • 2 pounds Yukon Gold or russet potatoes
  • 2 large carrots
  • 1 pound turnips (optional)


Read More: Short-Rib Beef Stew with Ale